Nursing Faculty Loan Forgiveness Incentive Program
The Nursing Faculty Loan Forgiveness Incentive Program is offered to increase the number of nursing faculty members and adjunct clinical faculty teaching in the field of nursing in New York State. Awards are made annually to licensed registered nurses holding graduate degrees and who have taught in the field of nursing.
An applicant must:
- Be a legal resident of New York State for at least one year.
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
- Be a registered nurse professionally licensed to practice in New York State.
- Possess a master’s degree in nursing or a doctoral degree qualifying them as nursing faculty or as adjunct clinical faculty.
- Have prior clinical experience as a licensed registered nurse.
- Have an outstanding balance on an eligible student loan.
- Have qualified service. Qualified service means prior employment as a nursing faculty member or as adjunct clinical faculty providing clinical teaching services for the equivalent of 12 credit hours during an annual period commencing July 1st and ending June 30th. NOTE: Qualified Service must be reported in credit hours; clock hours must be converted to credit hours.
- Not be in default on any State or federal student loan or on any repayment of state awards.
- Not have an outstanding service obligation under another program.
Eligible Student Loans
Successful applicants must have an outstanding balance on an eligible student loan used to fund a nursing degree received on or after January 1, 2001. Eligible student loans include New York State or federal government loans, or loans made by commercial entities subject to governmental examination. This does not
include Parent PLUS loans, loans which may be canceled under another program (such as Perkins Loans) private non-commercial loans (such as those given by family or friends), or student loan debts paid with a credit card.
How to Apply
The deadline for the 2012 Series New York State Nursing Faculty Loan Forgiveness Program has passed.
Applications for the 2013 Series will be available in August 2013.
Period of Qualified Service
July 1, 2011 – June 30, 2012
Disbursements under this program are available for up to five annual periods of qualified service. Because program disbursements are limited to available funding, awardees are not guaranteed a payment in each following year. If there are more awardees than available funding, the awards will be determined by a random lottery.
The maximum lifetime award under this program is the lesser of $40,000, paid in the amount of $8,000 for each annual period of qualified service completed, or the applicant's actual eligible student loan indebtedness at the time their eligibility is established.
Payments may be made directly to awardees for each annual period of qualified service they complete.
Note: Any Loan Forgiveness award payments received may have tax implications. A 1099 form may be issued by the NYS Office of the State Comptroller reflecting the total loan forgiveness payments received by the recipient for the year. Any questions regarding this should be directed to a tax professional or the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance.
Applying for Payment
The Nursing Faculty Loan Forgiveness Incentive Program Supplement will be used to establish an applicant’s eligibility as well as process their first award payment.
In subsequent years, recipients must submit a payment application and verification of the qualified service for which they seek payment under this program by the deadlines set by HESC. Payment applications will be mailed to prior recipients at their address of record.