Spotlight on GoCollegeNYWe’re shining the spotlight on GoCollegeNY.org, the website developed for students who are at risk of not going to college, technical school or who may be considering dropping out of high school.
“At-risk” students may be those who are not aware of the benefits of a college education because:
- no one in their family went; or
- they are worried that college may be too expensive and don’t have the financial resources to pay for it; or
- they don’t think they will fit into a college environment; or
- none of their friends are going; or
- they want to start “making money” right away.
GoCollegeNY helps dispel the myths that keep many students from considering furthering their education beyond high school and helps them prepare for, access and attend college or trade school successfully.
Each issue of The High School Counselor e-News will highlight a web section that can help you turn “I’m not going,” to “Yes! I am!”
This issue will focus on videos you can use to help students know they are not alone in their concerns. The GoCollegeNY videos were made by students for students to show that higher education is possible:
A smart phone texting conversation between two students about dropping out of school.
Junior Year – a section for your current and in-coming juniors to start planning for college.