Senator Patricia K. McGee Nursing Faculty Scholarship Program
Senator Patricia K. McGee Nursing Faculty Scholarships are being offered to increase the number of educators and adjunct clinical faculty teaching nursing education in New York State. Awards are made on a competitive basis to applicants who are registered professional nurses enrolling in graduate programs that will qualify them as nursing faculty or adjunct clinical faculty.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be legal residents of New York State for at least one year.
- Be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens.
- Be registered nurses professionally licensed to work in New York State.
- Enroll at an accredited school in the state of New York in a master’s degree program in nursing or a doctoral degree program that will qualify them as nursing faculty or adjunct clinical faculty.
- Complete and return a service agreement in which they agree to practice as nursing faculty in New York State for four years.
- Not be in default on any state or federal loan or on any repayment of state awards.
- Not have an outstanding service obligation under another program.
Successful applicants will be required to complete a service contract in which they:
- Agree to provide at least 12 academic credit hours or its equivalent as nursing faculty or as adjunct clinical faculty providing teaching service for four consecutive years at an institution in New York State after completing their graduate degree program.
- Agree to repay the amounts disbursed plus interest if they fail to fulfill their service obligation pursuant to the terms of their service agreement.
- Agree to repay the amounts disbursed plus interest if they fail to complete their graduate program within three years.
- Agree to begin fulfilling the four year service obligation within three years of completing their graduate program.
How to Apply
The deadline for the 2014 Senator Patricia K. McGee Nursing Faculty Scholarships has passed.
Applications for the 2015 Series will be available in April 2015.
Senator Patricia K. McGee Nursing Faculty Scholarship payments are available for up to three academic years of graduate study. Recipients must complete their graduate program within three years of receiving this scholarship. All recipients incur a four-year service obligation, regardless of the number or amount of scholarship payments.
Applying for Payment
Once selected, recipients must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the subsequent Express TAP Application (ETA) to request payment. This must be done each year they wish to receive payment under this program.
Recipients are not required to submit another Senator Patricia K. McGee Nursing Faculty Scholarship Program Supplement once they have been awarded this scholarship.
The Patricia K. McGee Nursing Faculty Scholarship Awards cover the cost of attendance up to $20,000 annually or the average SUNY cost of attendance, whichever is less. Payments will be made directly to schools on behalf of students upon certification of their eligibility by their colleges or universities.
To ensure continued payment recipients must:
- Maintain good academic standing. Recipients must continue to pursue their program of study and maintain satisfactory academic progress.
- Respond to HESC's annual status reports. Recipients should contact HESC if they do not receive a status report each year.
- Stay in touch - inform HESC if any contact information changes.
Contact the Scholarship Unit at 1-888-697-4372 if you have any questions.