NY.gov Portal State Agency Listing
NYS Higher Education Services Corporation - We Help People Pay for College High School Counselors Financial Aid Professionals

HESC Disclaimer Regarding the
Use of 'GoogleTM Translate'

Free Language Assistance


If you’re repaying a Federal Family Education Loan — Stafford (subsidized and unsubsidized), SLS, PLUS, or Consolidation — you may be able to postpone — or defer — your principal payments.

If you have a subsidized (interest paid by the government) loan, you won’t be charged interest during the deferment. If your loan is unsubsidized, you’ll be responsible for the interest on the loan during the deferment period.

You may be eligible for deferment under certain conditions, such as:

To Apply

Contact your lender or loan servicer for a Deferment Request Form or click here. The completed froms should be returned to your lender or loan servicer.

Specific eligibility requirements apply for each category. If the lender determines that you do not qualify, you still may be granted forbearance — a temporary delay in making payments. But you’ll be responsible for the interest during forbearance. Ask your lender for details.

If you’re having trouble repaying, contact the Delinquency Resolution Team. We’ll review available options and provide solutions for you. Contact us at 1-800-888-0741 or defaultprevention@hesc.ny.gov, or visit Mapping Your Future.