Part-time TAP Program
Part-time TAP helps eligible New York residents attending in-state postsecondary institutions on a part-time basis pay for tuition. Part-time TAP is a grant and does not have to be paid back. Part-time TAP is not the same as Aid for Part-Time Study
To be eligible for Part-time TAP, a student must:
- Be a first-time freshman in the 2006-07 academic year or thereafter
- Have earned 12 credits or more in each of the two consecutive semesters, for a minimum total of 24 credits earned
- Maintain a minimum of a “C” average
In addition, the student must:
- Be a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen
- Be a legal resident of New York State
- Have graduated from high school in the United States, or earned a GED, or passed a federally approved “Ability to Benefit” test as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department
- Be matriculated in an approved program of study and be in good academic standing
- Be charged at least $200 tuition per year
- Be taking at least 6 but fewer than 12 credits per semester or at least 4 but fewer than 8 credits per trimester
- Not be in default on a State or federal student loan or on any repayment of state awards.
- Meet income eligibility limitations
To be eligible, students must attend one of the following:
- The State University of New York (SUNY)
- The City University of New York (CUNY)
- Not-for-profit independent degree granting colleges
How to Apply
To apply, complete and submit the FAFSA and TAP applications and follow the instructions provided.
The income limits for Part-time TAP are the same as those for undergraduate TAP:
- Dependent undergraduate students or students who are married and have tax dependents or independent students who have tax dependents - $80,000 NYS taxable income plus local, State, Federal pension and previously excluded private pension annuities and exclusions.
- Married Independent undergraduate students with no other tax dependents - $40,000 NYS taxable income plus local, State, Federal pension and previously excluded private pension annuities and exclusions.
- Single independent undergraduate students with no dependents - $10,000 NYS taxable income plus local, State, Federal pension and previously excluded private pension annuities and exclusions.
TAP CreditsSemester Schools
Partial TAP payment will be made for students taking 6-11 credits as shown below:
Partial TAP payment will be made for students taking 4-7 credits as shown below: