NY.gov Portal State Agency Listing
NYS Higher Education Services Corporation - We Help People Pay for College High School Counselors Financial Aid Professionals

HESC Disclaimer Regarding the
Use of 'GoogleTM Translate'

Free Language Assistance


Your lender may grant you a temporary delay in making loan payments — or lower payments than before — if you’re having trouble repaying your student loan.

If your lender grants forbearance of principal payments, you’ll be responsible for paying the interest or capitalizing it — having the interest added to your loan balance to be repaid later. Capitalization increases the total you must repay and may result in a higher monthly payment when repayment resumes.

You should also check with your lender or loan servicer whether you are eligible for a deferment.

To Apply

Contact your lender or loan servicer to learn the information required for all types of forbearance. You may request forbearance for up to one year at a time.

If you’re having trouble with repayment, contact the Delinquency Resolution Team. Counselors will review available options and provide solutions for you. Contact us at 1-800-888-0741 or defaultprevention@hesc.ny.gov, or visit Mapping Your Future.