Loan Consolidation - Eligible Loans
Eligible loans include:
- FFEL Loans — Subsidized and Unsubsidized
- Federal Direct Loans — Subsidized and Unsubsidized
- Federal Supplemental Loans for Students (SLS)
- Federal Perkins Loans
- Health Professions Student Loans (HPSL)
- Loans for Disadvantaged Students (LDS)
- Health Education Assistance Loans (HEAL)
- Federal Nursing Loans (NSL)
- Federal Insured Student Loans (FISL)
- Federal Parent PLUS Loans
- Federal Graduate/Professional PLUS Loans
- Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans
- Federal Direct Graduate/Professional PLUS Loans
- Federal and Direct Consolidation Loans
If any of the loans are in default, they may be consolidated if you make satisfactory repayment arrangements with the holder of the loan or agree to repay the consolidating lender under an income-sensitive repayment schedule.
It's important to note that you do not have to consolidate all of your loans; you can choose the ones you want to include and the ones you don't. For example, many students choose not to include their Perkins Loans in order to maintain the forgiveness options on those loans.
Loans subject to a judgment or order of wage garnishment are not eligible for Federal Loan Consolidation.
Private or alternative loans are not eligible for Federal Loan Consolidation.