First...Get Your Information Together
Knowledge is Power
- Before applying, learn all you can about the colleges you're interested in.
- Find out about colleges in New York State and around the country and with the US Department of Education's College Navigator, and at College Board.
- Talk to college representatives at a college fair.
- Get all this and more in the College and Career Planning section.
Do the Math
- Get information on college costs and estimate your college expenses.
- Discuss paying for college with your family. New York State offers an excellent 529 college savings program.
- Ask your school counselor about scholarships and grants.
- Review Paying for College for all the aid opportunities available to you.
To Complete Your Financial Aid Application, You Will Need This Information
- W-2 forms, or end-of-year pay stubs;
- Records of last year's untaxed income, such as child support and untaxed income from such agencies as: Social Services, Social Security, and the Veteran's Administration;
- Federal and state income tax forms for you, your parents, or your spouse; if married;
- Bank account balances; lists of stocks, bonds and other assets; and both the estimated value and mortgage balance of other real estate (not including your home).