Applying for FFEL Loan Discharge
Your FFEL student loans may be discharged under the following circumstances:
- you are totally and permanently disabled (unable to work and earn money because of an impairment that is expected to continue indefinitely or result in death), borrowers can request a disability discharge application from the U.S. Department of Education (ED) and return the completed application to ED's Total and Permanent Disability Servicer, Nelnet.
- you could not complete your educational program because your school closed while your were enrolled, or not later than 90 days after your withdrew, complete a School Closure Loan Discharge Application and submit to HESC;
- you did not have a high school diploma or GED when you enrolled at your school you attended when receiving the loan you request for discharge, and you believe the school did not properly test your ability to benefit from the program, complete and a False Certification: Ability to Benefit Loan Discharge Application submit to HESC ;
- you borrowed the school loan you had a condition (physical, mental, age, criminal record) that prevented you from meeting state requirements for performing the occupation for which you received training at the school, complete a False Certification: Disqualifying Status Loan Discharge Application and submit to HESC;
- you believe that a representative of your school signed your name without permission on the loan application, promissory note, loan check(s), or authorized your loan to be disbursed by electronic funds transfer, or master check without your permission, complete a False Certification: Unauthorized Signature/Unauthorized Payment Loan Discharge Application and submit to HESC;
- you believe a school loan(s) in your name was falsely certified as a result of identity theft, complete an Affidavit of Identity Theft/Forgery, notarize and submit to HESC along with a copy of the court judgment or verdict stating you were a victim of identify theft.
For questions about eligibility for FFEL loan discharge, completion of an application, and/or where to send the completed application, please contact HESC at 518-473-3986.