Frequently Asked Questions - Part-time TAP
New legislation enacted in 2006 created a Part-time TAP program effective for first-time state aid recipients in the 2007-08 academic year and thereafter.
To be eligible for Part-time TAP, you must:
- be a legal resident of New York State
- be a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen
- have graduated from a US high school, earned a high school equivalency diploma, or passed a federally approved ability-to-benefit test (refer to Questions and Answers on Ability to Benefit)
- be matriculated as an undergraduate in an approved New York State institution
- be enrolled for a least 6 but fewer than 12 semester credit hours or the equivalent
- have earned 12 credits in each of two consecutive prior semesters
- credits must be from a State University of New York (SUNY), a City University of New York (CUNY), or a not-for-profit institution
- maintain a 2.0 (C) average and meet good academic standing requirements
- not be in default on any Federal or State student loan and not be in any repayment of State awards
- meet income eligibility limitations
Am I allowed additional TAP points if I attend school part-time?
No, you are not allowed additional TAP points for part-time study.
How many total TAP points am I allowed?
You are allowed:
- a maximum of 48 points for four years of full-time undergraduate study or the equivalent in part-time undergraduate study
- a maximum of 60 points if you are enrolled in an approved five year undergraduate program
When I was in high school I took Advanced Placement (AP) courses and received college credits. Can my school use these credits towards my eligibility for Part-time TAP?
No. Advanced Placement (AP) credits and/or college credits a student earned in high school are not accepted towards Part-time TAP.
I am a first time freshman, can I start school as a part-time student this year?
No, you need to have earned 12 credits or more in each of two consecutive semesters prior to being eligible as a part-time student. However, this prior study requirement only needs to be met once.
Can I receive both Part-time TAP and Aid for Part-time Study?
No, you cannot receive both Part-time TAP and Aid for Part-time Study as these are two different programs with different requirements and both programs use up TAP points. It is important to note that not all schools participate in the Aid for Part-time Study Program; however, Part-time TAP is available to all eligible students at SUNY, CUNY or not for profit institutions.
Will my TAP award be reduced if I attend school part-time?
Yes, if you are eligible to receive a Part-time TAP award the award amount you receive will be reduced by the number of credits you are taking and will be a percent of your Full-time TAP award.