Segal AmeriCorps Education Award
Are you a New York State resident interested in high quality opportunities in community service activities in exchange for an education award? AmeriCorps is the national service initiative that provides funding for nonprofit organizations, agencies and educational institutions to run local programs that engage individuals from all backgrounds in community service activities. More than 2,500 AmeriCorps members serve annually in New York State, and more than 75,000 serve nationally. They address the most pressing education, public safety, homeland security, and human and environmental challenges facing our communities.
Who Is Eligible?
You are eligible for a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award if you successfully complete your term of service in accordance with your member contract with one of the following approved AmeriCorps programs:
- AmeriCorps State and National
- AmeriCorps VISTA
- AmeriCorps NCCC
You can use your education award to pay education costs at qualified institutions of higher education, for educational training, or to repay qualified student loans.
What Awards Are Available?
The Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act made changes to the maximum amount of the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award. The amount is now tied to the maximum amount of the U.S. Department of Education’s Pell Grant. Because the AmeriCorps State and National education award amount is dependent upon the year in which the Corporation approved the program’s positions, members must contact their program to ascertain the education amount for which they are eligible.
- All VISTA and NCCC members who enroll between October 1, 2011 and September 30, 2012 will be eligible to receive awards based on the maximum value of the Pell Grant this year - $5,550.
- Because the maximum value of the Pell Grant can change every year, the amount of a full-time award can change in the future. However, once a member earns an award, the value of that award will not increase.
- For all programs, award amounts for part-time terms of service vary based upon the length of the required term of service.
- Payments made from Segal AmeriCorps Education Awards are considered taxable income in the year that the Corporation makes the payment to the school or loan holder.
- A member serving in a full-time term of service is required to complete the service within 12 months.
You can make payments from your award in full or part, and can take up to seven years after your term of service has ended to use your award.
When Should You Apply?
It varies. Each AmeriCorps site is run locally, so recruitment strategies, living allowances, service projects and program service designs vary from one site to the next.
How Do You Find Out More Information?
Information about New York State programs can be found by contacting:
NYS Office for National and Community Service
Office of Children & Family Services
52 Washington St.
Rensselaer, NY 12144
or by visiting AmeriCorps