NY.gov Portal State Agency Listing
NYS Higher Education Services Corporation - We Help People Pay for College High School Counselors Financial Aid Professionals

HESC Disclaimer Regarding the
Use of 'GoogleTM Translate'

Free Language Assistance

Student TAP Coach - Failure to Make Progress

To remain eligible for New York State student financial assistance, you must remain in good academic standing. Good academic standing consists of two elements: (1) making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree and (2) pursuing the program of study.

To make satisfactory academic progress toward a degree, you must earn a minimum number of credits with a minimum grade point average each term you receive an award. Colleges should provide the required number of credits and minimum grade point average in a satisfactory academic progress chart that is published in the college bulletin or other financial aid information.

If you fail to make progress toward a degree—either by failing to earn enough credits or by failing to achieve the required minimum cumulative grade point average—you lose eligibility for a subsequent award. You can regain eligibility in one of four ways: