NY.gov Portal State Agency Listing
NYS Higher Education Services Corporation - We Help People Pay for College High School Counselors Financial Aid Professionals

HESC Disclaimer Regarding the
Use of 'GoogleTM Translate'

Free Language Assistance

Student TAP Coach - Foreign Credentials

In 2006, the New York State Legislature amended the Education Law pertaining to eligibility for State student financial aid. The amendment affects students who received their first financial aid award in academic year 2006-2007 and thereafter.

To be eligible for State student financial aid, you now must have a certificate of graduation from a high school in the United States or the equivalent of such certificate (for example, a GED or high school equivalency diploma). If you graduated from a high school in another country, your high school diploma or academic transcript is no longer acceptable. To be eligible for New York State financial aid, you must take and pass an approved “ability-to-benefit” test to be eligible.

In the case of college-level study, to be acceptable, you must have completed foreign study at an institution approved by your country’s Ministry of Education.

Your college will evaluate your foreign credentials, or have them evaluated by a commercial evaluation service, to assure that the study was, in fact, beyond high school level.

See Also...

Ability to Benefit
Ability-to-Benefit (ATB) Testing Requirements for State Financial Aid