NYS Math and Science Teaching Incentive Scholarships
New York State (NYS) Math & Science Teaching Incentive Scholarships are offered to encourage students to pursue careers as secondary math and science teachers (grades 7-12). This program provides awards to students attending school at the undergraduate and/or graduate degree level in exchange for five years of full-time employment as secondary education math or science teachers.
Eligibility Please note: If you are a high school senior you may not apply for this scholarship until you have completed one semester of college. Please revisit this web page in January of your freshman year of college
- Be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens
- Be attending a college located in NYS
- Be matriculated in an approved undergraduate or graduate program at a degree granting institution in NYS leading to a career as a secondary education math or science teacher.
- Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher
- Execute a Service Contract in which they agree to work for five years as a secondary school math or science teacher. Click to view the terms and conditions of the Service Contract.
- Not have a service obligation under another program. For example, students may not hold both the Federal Teach Grant and a NYS Math and Science Teacher Incentive Program award at the same time.
- Not be in default on a federally guaranteed student loan.
Recipients shall receive an annual award for full-time study equal to the annual tuition charged to NYS resident students attending an undergraduate program at the State University of New York, or actual tuition charged, whichever is less. The maximum annual award for the 2012-13 academic year is $5,595.00.
New applicants will be ranked by GPA and total credits earned. If there are more applicants than available funding, awards will be paid according to rank.
Recipients shall be entitled to an annual award for not more than four academic years of full-time undergraduate study and one academic year of full-time graduate study while matriculating in an approved program leading to permanent certification as a secondary education teacher in mathematics or science.
How to Apply
The deadline for the 2012 New York State Math & Science Teaching Incentive Scholarships Program has passed.
Applications for the 2013 Series will be available in January 2014.
Apply for Payment
Recipients are not required to submit another NYS Math and Science Teaching Incentive Scholarship Program Supplement once they have been awarded this scholarship.
You Must Apply for Payment Each Year:
Current NYS residents must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and apply for the NYS Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). FAFSA and TAP application instructions are available through the quick links provided below or, you may contact the HESC Scholarship Unit at 1-888-697-4372 to request a Scholarship and Grant Payment Application.
Applicants who are not residents of NYS may contact the HESC Scholarship Unit at 1-888-697-4372 to request a Scholarship and Grant Payment Application.
Payment of Awards:
Awards will be paid directly to the schools on behalf of students upon the successful completion of each academic year. "Successful completion" of an academic year means the applicant must:
- Have been in full-time attendance (with a minimum of 12 credits per semester applies to both undergraduate and graduate students).
- Have earned at least 27 credit hours or the equivalent during the academic year in a course of study leading to a secondary education degree in the fields of math or science.
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5 for the academic year.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher for all academic years of undergraduate and graduate study.
NOTE: Applicants may attend less than full time during their last undergraduate term if less than a full-time course load is necessary to complete their degree.
Please contact the Scholarship Unit at 1-888-697-4372 with questions about this scholarship.